topbanner

home
about
contacts
regalia
caper
caperads
diary
directions
forsale
garage
howto
wanted
links
member
ourcars
pastevents
pastnews
recommend
sundry


Linking the World of MG Cars Together
Previous Site | Next Site | List All Sites | Random Site
Add Your Site | SiteRing by Bravenet.com

ram

 

clarke logo

Tel Stroud (01453) 763462

Trade prices to club members on production of membership card.

 

number plates

Free quarterly magazine from above link

lancaster

Please quote Glos MG OC

internet visitor statistics
Budget Car Rental
 

 

 

 

  Home>>

 

HIDDEN HEREFORDSHIRE & WELSH BORDER RUN

9th July 2017

17 Cars turned out in Ross-on-Wye on a warm sunny Sunday morning for a 100 mile drive into Hidden Herefordshire and Welsh Borders.


We drove alongside the River Wye, overlooking many viewpoints along the way and then to Haugh Woods (pronounced Hoff).


The name Haugh is derived from the name of a Saxon owner, indicating that this is the site of an ancient wood. At 850 acres it is of national importance for butterflies, with over 600 species recorded within and is one of the top ten woods in the country.


Our drive took us through many small villages. At Wormelow we passed a small museum dedicated to Violette Szabo.


 

Violette was recruited by the Special Operations Executive during World War II, parachuted into France, captured, tortured and executed. She was a young mother, only twenty three years old.
Violette was a posthumous recipient of the George Cross. A film of her life is portrayed in the film “Carve Her Name in Pride”.


Driving on we passed Madley Airfield, used in the war in World War II. Madley now is a communication centre for BT’s Group’s Earth Satellite Tracking Station. With 65 satellite dishes, this is the largest station in the world. Every day, hundreds of thousands of telephones, texts, faxes, internet and tv links are routed through this site.


From here we drove onto the village of Bredwardine for our pub lunch stop at The Red Lion.
Some members had a picnic in the cool tree lined lane that leads to St Andrew’s Church.
The church’s best known rector was Francis Kilvert, famous for his diaries describing life of ordinary people in Victorian times.


After lunch the cars headed off to the Welsh border with views of Hay Bluff and Cat’s Back Mountain.
Then it was off to Part Y Seal Manor for a delicious afternoon cream tea and beautiful views of the Welsh countryside.


All members refreshed, we continued onto the village of Grosmont with its ruined castle on the hillside. The castle was built in 1110 for administration and in 1209 turned into a fortress.


From here the drive went through the Welsh border back into Herefordshire with a drive through the beautiful village of Llanwarne viewing the 13th Century ruined church of St John.


 

 

The church suffered constant flooding from the Gamber Brook so in 1864 it was abandoned and a new church was built on higher ground.
From the village the run headed back to Ross-on-Wye for the journey home.

 


Many thanks to all the members who made this a great Summer’s day run around Hidden Herefordshire and the Welsh Borders.


If anyone would like a photos of their car on the run, please email Ken Coyle ken@handtomouse.org.uk with your registration number and he will send them to you, along with other photos of the day.

 

 

 

 

 

      Back to Top